After months of anticipation, it’s finally here, folks… The outdoor section of the Grand Rapids Downtown Market on Ionia Ave will officially open tomorrow morning at the stroke of 8:00 AM! This momentous milestone marks an exciting and fresh new chapter in the city of Grand Rapids’ downtown residential and retail expansion. Here are 10 things you can look forward to when the Downtown Market opens tomorrow:
1. Over 200 free parking spots! That’s right, an adjacent lot will have room for over 200 vehicles to park for no cost at all. If you want to take advantage of the convenience of the lot, you’ll want to get there early, though. For those who miss out, you can still get a close spot at the metered spaces available along Ionia.
2. 80 vendors offering up fresh West Michigan wares! B&B Farms, Crane Dance Farm, Fish Monger’s Wife, Great Harvest Bread Co., Klackle Orchards, Robinette’s Winery & Apple Haus, The Great American Bagel and Visser Farms are just a handful of names you’ll see when browsing the market. Leave yourself plenty of time to visit them all!
3. First LEED-certified Outdoor Market in the country! Also known as ‘West Michigan’s first Communal Table’, the market project, which will soon include a year-round Indoor Marketplace of artisan retailers, a restaurant, bakery, brewery, commercial kitchen, and rooftop greenhouse, will be 25,000 total square feet of scrumptious sustainability!
4. Opening Day music and street performers. Bring the kids, because this farmer’s market is going to offer a whole lot more than just vegetables!
5. Eventual Food Cart & Food Truck vendors. Yep, plans are in the works for your favorite downtown Grand Rapids food cart and food truck vendors to have a regular presence at the Downtown Market. Asian Tacos, anyone?
6. Doughnuts! Doughnuts at a farmer’s market?! Well, sure, why not? After all, these aren’t your standard o